top of page

FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions

Can I prepare the liquor application myself?
Answer:  Did you every try a “do it yourself” project only to find out that the amount and complexity of work involved was a lot more than what you bargained for?  Such is the case with the liquor permitting application process. You run the risk of paperwork being improperly prepared, the possibility of not including required exhibits, and the omission of information, all resulting in the application being returned by The Department of Consumer Protection for deficiency, by regular mail, which process would result in the loss of valuable time, thereby delaying the time for approval of the application.  Also, applications must be signed off by local zoning, fire marshal, and town clerk, and Connecticut Liquor Permit assumes that responsibility to fulfill that requirement as part of its service.

 Do I need an attorney to help me apply for a liquor permit?
Answer:  An attorney is required to review and negotiate an asset purchase agreement and handle lease negotiations.  The liquor permit process is detail-oriented and time sensitive and it is best to use a consultant/expediter, who handles applications regularly to ensure that the permit is filed accurately, important dates are not missed, and that the application proceeds in the most efficient manner possible.



How long does it take to receive approval?

Answer:  A properly completed application takes approximately three to four weeks to receive approval of the provisional permit.  If the application contains errors or omissions, it will be returned for deficiency, by regular mail, which will delay the approval process by several weeks.  Once the provisional permit is approved, the file is assigned to an agent, who will thereafter make an appointment to make a physical inspection of the premises.  Thereafter, the agent prepares its report and turns it into Commission.  At a hearing of the Commission, the application will be approved for final.

 If the provisional permit is valid for 90 days, how do I obtain a final liquor permit and what happens if I am not approved for a final permit within that 90 days?
Answer:  A provisional permit is granted for 90 days.  At the time of approval of the provisional permit, the file is assigned to an agent who will make a physical inspection of the premises.  The timing of the physical inspection depends on the schedule of the agent.  Most often, the assigned agent will make its physical inspection within the 90-day time frame; however, in some cases, the agent may be filled with several files and unable to make its inspection within that 90-day time period.  Connecticut Liquor Permit keeps track of the expiration dates of provisional permits, and, if the agent has not yet made its physical inspection, completed its report, or Commission has not yet acted on the file, then Connecticut Liquor Permit files a written request for an extension of the provisional liquor permit for an additional 90-day period.  Written requests for extensions are critical, as expired permits will be unable to order liquor from distributors.

Can I purchase the liquor permit from the seller of a business?
Answer:  No.  Liquor Permits in Connecticut are not salable.  A liquor permit is a personal privilege.  When a business is sold, the liquor permit is not included in the assets.  Each new owner must apply for its own liquor permit.

How do I know if a liquor permit will be allowed at a location?
Answer:  If you are thinking of starting a business at a new location, where there had not previously been a liquor permit, you find out from local zoning to whether the type of liquor permit sought is an approved use in the zone.  Connecticut Liquor Permit will contact local zoning on your behalf to find the answer.

How many package stores are allowed in a particular city/town and how do I know if  there are distance requirements?
Answer:  A certain number of package stores are allowed per city/town in the State of Connecticut based upon the population of that particular city/town.  Connecticut Liquor Permit will inform you as to the availability of package store permits in a particular city/town.  Most cities/towns have distance requirements as to package stores and local zoning must be contacted to obtain that information.


Once I receive my liquor permit, is it okay if new investors want to join my business and add their names to the backer LLC or corporation?
Answer:  If new individuals invest in your business and become officers of the backer Corporation or members of the backer LLC, then request for a transfer of interest is required to be filed with the Department of Consumer Protection.  The department must approve all transfers of interest.

What is a permittee?
Answer:  The permittee is the individual appointed by the business to be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities at the permit premises.  The permittee is titled the “applicant” at the time of application.  He must be an individual that can read and understand the English language.  His name appears on the front door of the permit premises.  If he no longer works for the permit premises, a substitute permittee
application must be filed immediately.

What is a backer?
Answer:  The backer is the owner of the permit at the permit premises.  It can be an Individual as a sole-proprietor; however, more often, the backer is an LLC or corporation specifically set up for this business.  If during the time of ownership of the business any changes are made to the backer LLC or corporation, a request must first be made to The Department of Consumer Protection requesting approval.


For more answers to questions you may have about obtaining and maintaining a liquor permit in the State of CT please contact us.



Legal Hours of Alcohol Service for a Cafe Permit
Monday through Thursday
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Friday and Saturday
9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Non-alcoholic service 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Non-alcoholic service 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Premises are not to remain open during a suspension period.
Permit Definition Refer to 30-22(a) of the C.G.S.

Permit Requirements

Permit Recorded

Each year your new permit must be filed with
the town clerk’s office. The clerk will stamp the
original permit and keep a copy on file. You will
note that the permit is endorsed:

Permit Framed and Hung in Plain View
Your liquor permit must be kept in a frame for
protection and hung inside the premises so as to
be visible to the public.


Permittee Sign
The permittee sign shall appear at all times
adjacent to the main entrance of the permit
premises in such a manner as to be visible from
the sidewalk or street.

Rubber Stamp

No permittee shall receive any liquor deliveries
unless upon receipt the retailer affixes by rubber
stamp or signs the invoice with information
containing the trade name of retailer, the name
of the permittee and the signature or initials of
the recipient of the merchandise.

Liquor Invoices
A two (2) year record of liquor invoices must be
maintained on the premises. Approval may be
granted to keep the invoices off premises upon
written request.

Liquor Storage

An approved lockable area must be maintained
which is large enough to accommodate the
liquor in stock.


Open Bar
Not allowed unless an area has been rented for
a private party by a customer.
Discrimination “Ladies” nights, etc. are prohibited if drink
promotions are available only to a certain
group of people.


Drinking Games

No games which involve the consuming or awarding of drinks may be played on the permit premises.


There is no gambling of any kind (i.e.- sports pools, dice games, slot machines)

Permitted to sell draught beer for off-premises consumption in sealed containers, under the following conditions:
• Legal Hours

(same as Package Stores): Monday-Saturday
8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
(*unless otherwise restricted by local ordinance)
• Size: Four (4) liters allowed to be sold per person per day
• Distribution: Containers must be supplied and filled by
the permittee (consumers cannot bring their own
containers for filling) and they should be clean and
Please Note: The law does not prohibit distributors from providing
or selling the containers to those with a restaurant beer, and beer and wine, café, or tavern permit.

Any change in ownership or transfer of stock must be reported to the
Department prior to that change. Your liquor permit must be
canceled upon sale or transfer of the business. New business owners
must apply and be granted their own permit prior to selling any

You may only purchase liquor from an authorized wholesaler
licensed by the Department of Consumer Protection, Liquor Control

All wholesalers have a geographic territory in which they are allowed to sell certain brands of beer. 


Age Statements Forms
A permittee shall require any person whose age
is in question to fill out and sign a statement in
the following form. This form is only to be used
in conjunction with identification shown.
Completed Age Statement Forms must be
maintained on the premises in alphabetical

Draught Beer

The beer lines of your tap system must be
cleaned and recorded on a record card on a
weekly basis. Pitchers cannot be sold to one (1)
person. The tap lever must be of the same brand
as being drawn from the keg (unless using a
generic handle)


Liquor Bottles
Liquor bottles may not be refilled, even if the
brands are the same. Liquor must be poured
from its original container.


Prohibited Sales 

Sale to Minors. (under 21 years of age)
Sale to Intoxicated person.
Sale before or after Legal Hours.
Sale to another liquor permit holder.
Note: You have the right to refuse sale if you suspect the patron is aminor or is intoxicated.



Smoking of all kind is PROHIBITED, including
all electronic nicotine delivery systems. Such
systems include electronic (1) cigarettes, (2)
cigars, (3) cigarillos, (4) pipes, (5) and hookahs.
It also includes related devices, cartridges, or
other components.


An employee may be sixteen (16) years of age
but a server must be at least eighteen (18) years
old to sell alcohol.

Daily Records

A Cafe permittee is required to keep on the
premises, in the English language, daily records
and a monthly total of the sales of food and

Food Requirement

Food must be regularly available for sale to
customers for consumption on premises.
Sandwiches, soups or other foods, whether
fresh or processed, precooked or frozen.


Juice Bars

The holder of your café permit should notify in
writing the town’s chief law enforcement
officer in advance of specific dates and hours
of any scheduled event that involves the use of
a juice bar or similar facility at permitted
premises or any portion thereof.


Caterer Liquor Permit
A café permit holder may also hold a separate
off premises caterer liquor permit. This allows
for off-site catering of food and alcohol.
Drink Promotions Drink promotions must apply to all patrons

DCP application form liquor permit.jpg

How can we help?

At Connecticut Liquor Permit, we handle all liquor permit and license types in the State of Connecticut. Our solutions cover a broad range of businesses, including bars, breweries, cafes, grocery stores, liquor stores, package stores, and restaurants.

> New Liquor Permits & Licenses

> Renewal Permits & Licenses 

> Liquor Permit Compliance & Citations 

We work closely with the State of CT Department of Consumer Protection, Liquor Control Division in Hartford to help you document and file the applications and forms correctly the first time.     And we come to your site or office to make it an easy process.  


Navigating the process can be complex and time consuming and we make it easy for you.

bottom of page